How do I get a Canon Log?

Started by Erik Wesemann, June 15, 2011, 01:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erik Wesemann

Important:

The method of enabling Canon logging has changed for the CR-120/150. See the below link for instructions on enabling logging for the CR-120/150 Canon check scanners.

How do I capture Canon logs on the CR-120/150?
        http://www.sbulletsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=312.0

To capture a Canon log on all other Canon check scanners:

1. Download and run the attached "CrSeries-WriteLogOn.reg" file. This file is intended to turn on logging for the CR-L1, CR-25, CR-50, CR-55, CR-80, CR-180, CR-180II and the CR-190i.

2. Attempt to duplicate the issue. 

3. Open the Temp folder. This can be done by entering "%temp%" into an address bar of Explorer or the Run dialog in the Start menu. Search the Temp folder for the Canon logs that were captured during the scanning session.  An example of the names of the logs are:

Canon CR-180.LOG
Canon CR-1800.LOG
Canon CR-1801.LOG

4. You should also get the Ranger log at this time.

Disable Canon logging.

1. Download and run the attached "CrSeries-WriteLogOff.reg" file

Notes
1. The Canon logging may require Administrator permissions to work correctly.
2. The Canon logging should be disabled once the logs are retrieved to prevent unnecessary file generation.
3. If you are concerned about what the .reg file do then feel free to review them in a text editor.

See also:

Ranger® - The universal check scanner interface
Copyright © 2009 Silver Bullet Technology
www.sbullet.com

ahunt

Alternatively, the Registry edits can be made manually.  To do so:

1.)   Navigate in the Windows Registry to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Canon Electronics Inc.\Canon Scanner Driver\Canon [scanner type]\General
2.)   Create or Modify the following 2 keys
  a.   "Trace Log" DWORD key  
       1 : Enable
       0 : Disable
  b.   "Trace Log File" string key
       Fully qualified path and file name (e.g. "C:\ Canon Logs\CanonDriver.log")

Notes
1. Valid entries for [scanner type] are "Canon CR-180", "Canon CR-180II", "Canon CR-190i", "Canon CR-25/55", "Canon CR-80".
2. Thus, Logging for a CR-135i will be enabled by the "Canon CR-190i" folder and logging for a CR-50 will be enabled by the "Canon CR-80" folder.