Can check scanner OCR read check amounts, dates, signatures, etc.?

Started by Bryan Clark, March 31, 2008, 04:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Clark

I am trying to use the ranger ocx control in a check scanning program and it's working fine. One thing I can't figure out is how to get OCR working, to get the check amt, date etc.

I also looked in the API document and it doesn't mention anything about it.  Please respond with the information.

Bryan Clark

The OCR capability that comes with check scanners cannot read check amounts, dates, signatures and so on.

There are vendors that offer software that can read this type of information from checks.  Some of the companies that offer popular check reading software include A2iA (www.a2ia.com), Orbograph (www.orbograph.com), and Parascript (www.parascript.com).

The OCR supported by check scanners can only read lines of machine printed characters in specialized fonts designed specifically for OCR reading.  For example, many payment coupons contain a line of machine printed characters.  These lines often includes an account number, amount owned, the due date, and so on.  Check scanner OCR can read this type of information provided that the particular check scanner's OCR engine supports the target font and the digits are printed clearly.  Another common use of check scanner OCR is to read the MICR line optically as a quality check.

Please note that not every check scanner has OCR capability.  Some manufacturers offer it with their check scanners and some do not.

Ranger® - The universal check scanner interface
Copyright © 2017 Silver Bullet Technology
www.sbullet.com